7 Winter Hair Care Tips For Gorgeous Hair In Freezing Weather
Cold winter days can be pretty harsh on the hair. When the temps start dropping and it starts feeling colder by the day, a good winter-appropriate hair routine can save your hair from damage. Whether you have straight hair or curly hair, long or short, you’ll need to protect your locks from the harsh weather conditions and ensure they remain healthy and beautiful until next season comes. Here are 7 winter hair care tips you need to follow for gorgeous hair in freezing weather.
- Avoid washing your hair with hot water - it may seem like the most logical thing to do but washing your hair with hot water does more harm than good to your tresses. It strips the hair of its natural oils and zaps the moisture out of every strand which leaves you with dry, dull, and frizzy hair. Instead of doing this, wash your hair with lukewarm water instead and then follow it up with a cool rinse.
- Dry your hair before you leave - exposing your hair to extreme temperatures while it’s wet can cause a lot of damage to the strands. Air dry your hair or blow dry it on low before leaving the hair to prevent damage.
- Use an oil hair treatment - your hair loses moisture more easily when it’s cold and an oil hair treatment is a good way to add the moisture back into your hair and lock it in. Look for a good, lightweight leave-in formula to use on your hair and add it to your hair care routine.
- Deep condition regularly - deep conditioning is another fantastic way of bringing moisture back to your hair. When it comes to deep conditioning products, thicker is better. Look for one that you can leave overnight so it has more time to do its magic on your hair. Do it once a week for best results.
- Wash your hair less - washing your hair too frequently during winter makes it more prone to dullness and breakage. Shampoo tends to strip hair of its natural oils which the hair needs in winter more than ever. Plus, you're not sweating all that much anyway so there’s really no need to be washing your hair every day.
- Avoid heat styling - your hair is already delicate and more susceptible to damage in the winter, don’t make it even weaker by styling it with heat. Air dry instead of blow drying when you can. Avoid using your straightening hair iron and curling wand as much as possible and try experimenting with other hairstyles instead. Panning to perm hair? Put it off until spring or summer instead.
- Use a humidifier - using a humidifier in winter is so underrated. It helps your respiratory system cope with the colder weather, prevents your skin from drying out, and makes your hair healthier too! Place one near your bed so your hair can absorb some of the moisture that the humidifier adds to the air. This can help if you’re doing dry scalp treatment, too!