Natural Curl Care Tips
People with natural curls often complain about how difficult it is to maintain them. Sometimes they come out looking too dry and frizzy, sometimes they look a tad too oily -- it’s tricky when you’re not sure how to do it right. To help you take the guesswork out of haircare for naturally curly hair, we’ve gathered some tips from the pros. Check them out below.
- Minimize heat styling - lots of curly-haired girls straighten their hair with a flat iron to change up their look but heat styling regularly can damage your hair big time. This applies to washing your hair with hot water, too. Try not to do it too much to prevent damaging your natural curls. Air dry when possible and rock those natural curls!
- Use a blowdry diffuser - blowing hot air directly on your hair from a hairdryer can disrupt the natural pattern of your curls which can lead to frizzy hair. To prevent this from happening, you’ll need to use the diffuser for curly hair attachment which comes with most hair dryers. This attachment helps even out the airflow from the blower and limits the heat that gets directed to your hair.
- Keep it moisturized - curly hair needs to be moisturized at all times so stock up on those hair masks and hair oils if you want to keep them looking amazing all the time. A keratin smoothing treatment every now and then would be quite helpful as well. Be careful not to overdo it, though. Too much can weigh your curls down and make them look greasy.
- Wrap your hair when you sleep - sleeping puts pressure on your curls for an extended period of time which can mess with the natural pattern. The friction from rubbing against your pillows can cause them to frizz up as well. If you have curly hair and you’re tired of waking up with crazy, frizzy locks, you might want to start sleeping with a headscarf or a bonnet wrapped around your head. It’ll help with the tangles and knots, too.
- Use the right products - choosing the right shampoo, conditioner, and other hair products play a big part in ensuring that your curls stay healthy and that they keep their shape. Look for products that are specially formulated for curly hair and avoid those that contain sulfates, silicone, alcohol, and parabens.
Ready to get started on building that better curly hair care routine? Get your curly girl hair needs and more from Hairsense!