Top 3 Best Hair Removal Techniques for Face and Body
They say your hair is your crowning glory but when it starts growing in places where you don’t want to see it, it’s another story. Hair removal is something that almost everyone does. Getting rid of hair in places where it shouldn’t be or in places where you don’t want them is healthy and should be part of your routine. Aside from making you feel more comfortable, it could also boost your confidence.
Hair also sometimes just grows weird and it results in ingrown hair. If you’ve ever experienced this before, you know just how much of a hassle ingrown hair removal can be and how painful it can get. This is another reason why it’s important to add hair removal to your self-care and beauty routine.
So, how do you get rid of these unwanted hair? Well, that depends on where they’ve grown. Here are some hair removal tips for different areas. Here are the top 3 best and most popular ways to get rid of unwanted hair
Shaving is a quick, easy, and relatively painless way to remove unwanted hair from your face. The downside to shaving, though, is that it has a bit of a learning curve and it can make the hair on your face grow thick and rough. It’s a great solution for those when you’re pressed for time or you don’t have access to other hair removal tools. Do note, though, that hair tends to grow back rather quickly when you shave. Ingrown hair is also a possible side effect of shaving, though not everyone who shaves gets them.
Use it for:
- Facial hair removal - use it to remove stray strands from your eyebrows, peach fuzz that’s looking a bit too thick, or that annoying almost-invisible-but-everyone-knows-its-there mustache on your upper lip
- Leg hair removal - shaving is great for leg hair removal because it can cover a large area with every stroke.
- Armpit hair removal - using a shaver to get rid of armpit hair can be tricky, but it does work.
- Bikini line hair removal - also a bit tricky, but quite popular. This is usually one of the first hair removal methods that girls learn and use to get rid of hair within the bikini line.
Tips for getting a clean and painless shave:
- Make sure you’re using a sharp, good quality shaver/blade. A foil razor is especially good for facial hair removal since it allows you to get a close shave without using a blade. For other areas, a safety razor should be fine.
- Apply a layer of soap or shaving cream to make your shaver go on your skin smoothly. This will help prevent cuts so you don’t end up with a scar. This shaving cream prevents redness and irritation and it hydrates your skin as well!
- Go easy on your strokes! Try not to be so heavy-handed when shaving. Putting a ton of pressure on your shaver can lead to cuts so take it easy and use light, gentle strokes.
Looking for a more long-lasting way to get rid of unwanted hair on your face or your body? Try using an epilator instead! An epilator is an electronic device that removes hair from the root so they take longer to grow back. It’s also better and gentler for the skin as it doesn’t rub or cause too much friction like shaving.
Use it for:
- Facial hair removal - there are epilators that are especially meant to be used on the face. They’re smaller than body epilators so they allow you to be more precise.
- Body hair removal - whether it’s legs, arms, or even your back, you can use a body epilator to get rid of unwanted hair anywhere on your body. You can even use it in areas that are tricky to shave like your armpits or the bikini line.
Tips for using an epilator:
- Use a clean epilator. Cleaning your tools before and after you use them is crucial in making sure your DIY hair removal session is safe. It helps prevent skin infections and it keeps your tools in great shape for a longer period of time.
- Exfoliate. This helps in preventing ingrown hairs from forming.
- Familiarize yourself with the epilator’s settings. If you’re using an epilator for the first time, try to use it on an area that’s not too sensitive like your arms or your legs. Once you’re familiar with the speed and power of your epilator, you’ll be able to use it more comfortably in other areas as well.
- Moisturize after using an epilator to prevent skin redness and irritation.
- For longer lasting and semi-permanent results, use a post-epilating spray like this. It’s convenient and easy to use plus you can see results after about 2 to 3 hair removal sessions.
Waxing is another hair removal method that provides longer lasting results. There are two general types of waxing: hot and cold. Hot waxing is recommended for areas with thicker hair while cold waxing is great for areas with finer hair. Waxing tends to be one of the more painful hair removal methods, but you do get used to the pain after a while.
Use it for:
- Any part of the body - you can wax just about any part of your body as long as there’s hair on it!
Tips for waxing:
- If you’re a first-timer, let a professional do it. DIYing your hair removal sessions does have a certain appeal to it, but if this is your first time waxing, just let the professionals do it and learn from them before you delve into doing it at home.
- Prep your skin. Well-prepped skin helps the wax grab more hair and pull them more effectively. Make sure to wax only clean, dry skin and avoid waxing on open wounds.
- Sprinkle a bit of baby powder on the area you’re waxing to get rid of any excess moisture from your skin.
- Grow your hair before waxing. It is recommended that you wax unwanted hair when they’re at least a quarter of an inch long so the wax has something to hold on to.
- Get a complete wax kit - if you’re doing it at home, it helps to get a complete wax kit that’ll help you streamline the whole waxing process.
As you can probably tell by now, the secret to successfully removing unwanted hair is to prep the skin first, make sure you have the necessary tools needed for the process, and making sure you don’t skimp on post-hair removal care. Check out this collection of hair removal tools and products for the best at-home hair removal session.